Thursday, March 09, 2006

First Draft of Novel Complete!


Hand written in two moleskine notebooks, I have finished my newest novel at 330 pages.

Q & A


Where have the Notebooks have been?
The notebooks have been with through two jobs (design firm & the other big money ticket job-don't ask-I'm not telling you where t I strip-joking, alright!). The black moleskine notebooks played a significant role as I rode the Orange Country Metro & Transit line (majority of pages written on the 7:00am train to San Juan Capistrano). Actually, the notebooks traveled with me constantly. I meant to finish the book at the start of February but illness kept me from thinking clearly (I'm not Marcel Proust).

Where happens to the Notebooks now?
As soon as I complete the first draft on my computer, I'm burning the hand written notebooks. There will never be a reason to have any one witness my madness first hand.

Hey, what's the novel about?
I'll tell you when I'm done.

What are you going to do next?
The second draft will be more akin to a first draft. When I finished the book today, I hit an important psychological milestone: The first draft. Like finishing my first novel (unpublished and hidden in a storage unit), I felt ecstatic about just completing the novel. Today, however, I feel the burden of this novel and its work ahead of me. I can visualize the book complete and I understand the work that needs to be done to get it to the tier of writing that I expect of myself. First thing on the list of what I'm doing next so to pray for the patience and the stamina that I'll need to complete a true working draft.

In conjunction to finishing the next draft, I am drafting the query letter for the book. It provides a great means of focusing the work.



Okay, I'm taking a night off to watch a movie. I hope its good.

No comments: